Living the dream baby!

Friday, January 06, 2006

For your viewing pleasure

So I was reading a review of all the best television shows on cable and the airwaves. As I was reading, it dawned on me that I knew half of them. The net net is, I watch too much television. So I figured, ah what the heck, write my own review of my favorite shows. It will undoubtedly reveal just how shallow I am.

How do I (and Sonya) watch all of this TV with two kids? Tivo. It’s a good thing. Sorry Martha, that’s as close as you come to my favorites.

So without further adieu, I bring you my Top 10 Boob Tube Programs:

1) Rescue Me (FX) – I never was a Dennis Leary fan until I started watching this FX show about a New York City firefighter. He’s a drunk, a hot head, and everything you’d expect from a NY firefighter I guess. The humor is raw, the dialogue is crass, but I can’t get enough of it. The season

2) Over There (FX) – I was hesitant to watch a television show about U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq, because I figured it would be some propaganda piece for or against the war. Turns out it’s neither. Simply put, it tells the tale of squad fighting to stay alive, while fighting an enemy they can’t always see.

3) Lost (ABC) – If you haven’t been watching this show since it debuted two years ago, you may be lost. Pick up the DVD of the first season and catch up to this freaky mind game playing tale of a bunch of castaways stranded on a mysterious tropical island. And Evangeline Lily is hot, so that helps.

4) 24 (Fox) – Jack Bauer is one kick ass dude, and 24 is one of those shows that captures your attention because the plot is predictably unpredictable. Nuclear threats, biohazards, and lots of gun play. What else could you want?

5) Desperate Housewives (ABC) – Nothing unmanly about watching a bunch of hot housewives trying to lives their lives on one of the most dysfunctional streets in American suburbia. Checkout the ladies of Wysteria Lane on Sundays at 9pm

6) Inked (A&E) – This a reality series about a tattoo parlor located in the Palms Hotel in Las Vegas. The shop is owned by extreme motocross rider Cary Hart, but the show centers around shop manager Thomas Pendelton, a tortured soul who makes his living as a tattoo artist (and partial owner of the shop). Thomas’ artist drama life is a train wreck, which is tough to not watch as we all know.

7) Roller Girls (A&E) – This is a brand new reality series which chronicles the life of a group of women who compete in the Lonestar Rollergirl League. Check out the five-team, all-girl league of tough and sexy young athletes who pay to skate and play to win. Their raucous bouts combine fierce competition with jaw-dropping outfits and crowd-pleasing personalities. It’s T&A on wheels!

8) It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) – This cutting edge comedy touches on the untouchable, which is why many critics are saying that FX is what HBO was five years ago. IASIP is not your typical show, which is why it’s a critics favorite.

9) Survivor (CBS) – Still one of my favorites, even though the game is essentially the same season after season. What makes Survivor appealing is the cast of jokers they roll out each season.

10) The Apprentice (NBC) – The Donald is a dork, but his show is cool. I’ve figured out the ultimate business model from this show. Simply collect a nickel every time someone utters “I’m more qualified than these idiots, I should be the Apprentice”. It seems as if half the candidates are guaranteed to be buffoons, which makes for entertaining television I guess. I’m hooked.

Honrable Mention:

- Any show that risks peoples lives while trying to catch crab
- Any WWII rerun during Memorial Day
- Anything on the Food Network
- Any sporting event (exluding pro basketball)...that even includes highlights that I saw six hours earlier.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

So it would appear that FX has cancelled Over There :( Bad decision by them.

12:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home