Living the dream baby!

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Boo!

Sunday is Halloween, the unofficial launch of the holiday season. From October 31st to January 2nd, it’s festivities galore. Two months of tradition, great food and family, topped off with the start of a new year and new opportunity. I say it’s the unofficial start of this season, because the best part about the holiday is the expectation. I remember when I was a kid, thinking about all the great things that were just around the corner. No school (for two weeks during winter break), Christmas presents, seeing family all together. Just thinking about it was half the fun.

So Halloween became my starting marker, because all of those great things are just around the corner. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not sitting around wondering what I’m getting for Christmas. I am thinking about being able to spend some time with friends and family, and all of those things that made this time of year so great when I was a kid.

Having kids changes all of that of course. I get to experience all of that wonderment and amazement through their eyes. This will be Ryan’s first Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I suspect he’ll get a kick out of Halloween. Seeing all those strange people, dressed up in odd costumes is entertaining no matter how old you are.

The kid’s costumes this year consist of Tinkerbell for Karsyn and a puppy dog for Ryan. Dainty green fairies that can fly are apparently all the rage this year. Well, at least for Karsyn. This year’s selection marks the third consecutive year that she’s gone as a Disney character. First their was Snow White, then last year we had Cinderella, and this year we have the pint sized pixie that made her mark in Peter Pan.

That still leaves us Belle (Beauty & the Beast), Pocahontas, Mulan, Jasmine (Alladin), Aurora (the damsel from Sleeping Beauty…forgot her didn’t you), and Ariel (The Little Mermaid) as potential costumes in the coming years. It’s only a matter of time before Buzz Lightyear is on Ryan’s list.

I guess I should savor the fact that Karsyn still thinks princesses are cool. Who knows what’ll be in? If you’re in need of a chuckle, checkout these costume suggestions

Check back during November and December for more holiday cheer…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home